Cities of Ukraine
Ukarine is a big country, the are list of biggest cities in Ukraine
Situated on the Dnipro River, Kiev (also Kyiv) is the capital city of Ukraine. After a rough and turbulent history, the town has become an interesting array of old and new buildings. More and more of the culture is being influenced by the characteristics of both Western and European customs, yet the Ukrainians who live here still cling proudly to tradition.
The modern city of Kiev is home to roughly three million people. Some of these people are foreign diplomats while others are students from other parts of the world. Thus, Kiev has a somewhat cosmopolitan feel. While many of its greater architectural and art treasures were destroyed in the Second World War, that which was left has been restored and now proudly adorns the face of this picturesque city. For a while there were understandable concerns about the safety of living in such close proximity to the destroyed nuclear reactor plant, but most scientists agree that the city is safe from the effects of radiation.
There is really so much to see and do in Kiev, you will be kept busy for days. Known as the ‘Green City’ for its many botanical gardens, parks and beautiful trees, the city is a wonder to behold in summer and spring. The nearby river provides hours of leisure activity in the form of swimming and boat rides, while many enjoy leisurely strolls and cycling trails along its banks. In the winter the lake freezes over to make way to ice fishermen and ice-skaters. The many theatres and opera houses provide indoor entertainment, and craft markets selling an abundance of traditional Ukrainian goods can be found in various city squares. There are art galleries, beautiful old buildings and even catacombs to see.Kiev is a charming and majestic city that should not be missed.
Kropyvnytskyi (former Kirovohrad) is a city located in the center of Ukraine, the administrative center of the Kirovograd region, an industrial and cultural center.
The population of Kropyvnytskyi is about 232,000, the area - 103 sq. km.
In the 16th - the first half of the 18th centuries, the Cossacks of the Zaporozhye Sich lived on the territory of the present Kropyvnytskyi. In 1754, the fortress of St. Elizabeth was founded by the decree of the Russian Empress Elizaveta Petrovna - to protect the newly founded Serb colonies from the raids of the Crimean Tatars. In 1754, the garrison of the fortress located on the right bank of the Ingul River was about 3,000 people.
At the same time, a settlement located on the opposite bank of the Ingul began to develop actively. It was named Elisavet after the name of the fortress. In 1764, the fortress became the center of the Elisavet province.
Since the day of foundation, the town was developing in parallel with the construction and development of the fortress because of its favorable geographical location - at the intersection of important roads from the Black Sea coast deep into the Russian Empire. Before foundation of Odessa, Kherson, and Mykolaiv, it was the only relatively large settlement in the south of Ukraine.
More historical facts….
During the Russian-Turkish War of 1768-1774, the fortress played a prominent role in the struggle of the Russian Empire for access to the Black Sea being a reserve base of Russian troops. In 1775, the weapons and military contingent were almost completely transferred to Kherson. In the same year, in connection with the provincial reform, the fortress and its surrounding settlements received the status of a town under the name of Elisavetgrad.
In 1782, the town’s population was 4,720 people. In 1784, after the annexation of the Crimean Khanate to the Russian Empire, the fortress of Elisavetgrad lost its military-strategic importance and was abolished. Further development of the town was based on rapid development of the agrarian and trade spheres.
Elisavetgrad was actively rebuilt and, in 1882, became the “cradle of Ukrainian drama” - the first Ukrainian professional theater was opened in the town with such outstanding Ukrainian cultural figures as Marko Kropyvnytskyi, Ivan Karpenko-Kary, Maria Zankovetska, Nikolai Sadovsky, etc. In 1897, the population of Elisavetgrad was about 61.5 thousand people (Jews - 38%, Russians - 35%, Ukrainians - 24%).
In 1923, the town became a district center of the Ukrainian SSR. In 1924, it received a new name - Zinovievsk, in 1934 - Kirovo (in honor of S.M. Kirov, the party and state leader of the USSR murdered on December 1, 1934), in 1939 - Kirovograd and became the center of the Kirovograd region.
In August 1941, during the Second World War, the city was occupied by the Germans. Almost all the Jewish population was destroyed. In January 1944, the city was liberated by the Red Army. In 1951, the Kirovograd Military Aviation School for long-range aviation pilots was established. In the 1960s, it was renamed into the Higher Aviation School of Air Force Pilots. In 1959, the Kirovograd Musical College was established.
In the early 1990s, the local industry was in crisis. After 1991, the issue of renaming Kirovograd became more acute - the local intelligentsia and representatives of the general public often addressed such proposals and petitions to city officials.
In the 2000s, a program of city development was implemented in Kirovohrad, roads were repaired, museums and the territory of the former fortress of St. Elizabeth were reconstructed. The economic and commercial sector of the city began to develop again.
In 2016, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (the Ukrainian Parliament) decided to rename Kirovohrad to Kropyvnytskyi - in honor of the prominent Ukrainian theatrical figure Marko Kropyvnytskyi (1840-1910).
The city hospital in Kropyvnytskiy was opened in 1823 - it had 54 beds.
Currently, 17 health facilities and preventive health care institutions carry out health care in Kropyvnitsky. Including:
- First City Hospital;
- KP «Polyclinic association of Kropyvnytskiy city»;
- Central City Hospital;
- Kropyvnytskiy City Hospital of Ambulance and the station SHMD;
- 5th city clinic;
- 2 maternity hospitals;
- Children's Clinic No. 1 and Children's Hospital;
- Several dental clinics, including a nursing home, a hospital emergency room and some other specialized medical institutions
Through the city there are highways of European significance: Uzhgorod - Ternopil - Kropyvnytskiy - Donetsk - Dovzhanske (E50), Poltava - Kropyvnytskiy - Chisinau - Galats - Sloboda (E584); regional highways: Kropyvnytskiy - Nikolaev, Kropyvnytskiy - Oleksandrivka; Kotovsk railway - Pomichna - Znamenka.
There are 2 bus stations and a railway station in the city, there is a Kirovograd airport (2 runways, one of which are valid), which corresponds to the 3rd category of ICAO, is a state-owned enterprise Ukraine Airlines, URGA airline, working on international airlines. Urga is a member of the European Association of Regional Airlines (ERA).
Trolleybuses, buses and shuttles now represent urban public transport.
Significant role in the city plays trolleybus. Trolleybus movement in Kropyvnytskiy was opened on November 2, 1967. After experiencing a crisis in the early 2000s, the industry was reanimated in the middle of the decade. As of November 2013, there are 3 trolleybus routes in the city (Nos. 1, 9, 10). Trolleybus carriage is carried out by LLC "Yelisavetgrad Transport Company".
Political and social life
In the city (as of the beginning of 2008) there are 298 non-governmental organizations, of which 11 are female, 11 are veterans and 49 are youth.
Kropyvnytskiy's youth life is being activated through a number of civic organizations uniting their membership for conducting the diverse interests. The youth wing of the People's Movement of Ukraine - Young People's Movement and the party "Batkivshchyna" - the regional organization of the All-Ukrainian Union of Youth "Batkivshchyna Moloda" can be considered the most effective youth organizations.
Kropyvnytskyi is located on the Dnieper Upland, in the valley and on the banks of the Ingul River (the tributary of the Southern Buh River), in the steppe zone.
The climate is moderately continental with mild winters and warm (sometimes hot) summers. The average temperature in January is minus 5.6 degrees Celsius, in June - plus 20.2 degrees Celsius.
The basis of local industry is agricultural engineering, food and mining industries.
Kropyvnytskyi has the reputation of one of the centers of Ukrainian folk choreography. It was created by such famous local dance groups as the Academic Theater of Music, Song and Dance “Zoryane”, the Honored Folk Dance Ensemble of Ukraine “Yatran”, the song and dance ensemble “Vesna”, the folk ballroom ensemble “Convalia”, and others.
A number of old buildings, constructed mainly in the second half of the 19th century, have been preserved, including religious buildings, remains of Russian fortifications, Jewish quarters, etc.
The City Day of Kropyvnytskyi is celebrated on the third Saturday of September.
Fortress of St. Elizabeth (1754) - the remains of the ramparts of the fortress located near the present city center. There are several old guns and partially preserved barracks.Also there is a memorial of the Eternal Flame in the military cemetery of those killed during the Second World War. Ushakova Street, 1.
Junker Cavalry School (1830-1848). It was one of the largest military schools in the Russian Empire. The military campus included a three-story palace, a staff and training buildings, an officer’s meeting, an arena, stables. The buildings are located around the current Cavalry Park, in place of which there used to be a parade ground, where military parades and shows were held. Kavaleriys’ka Street, 1A.
Goldenberg Balneary. The building of the balneary was constructed in Moorish style in the late 19th century. It is decorated with decorative tiles, carved plaster, colored bricks, carved doors in the “eastern” arch of the portal. Today, the building houses the Kropyvnytskyi city hospital #3. Pashutyns’ka Street, 35/45.
Meitus House. This building of red brick was constrcuted for the famous Elisavetgrad medical doctor S. Meitus. On the first floor there was a private hospital, Maitus lived with his family on the second floor. Today, the building houses the Children’s Music School. Victor Chmilenko Street, 65.
Local History Museum (1885-1905). The house of the merchant D. Barsky is a vivid example of the architectural style of the Art Nouveau and one of the most beautiful buildings in Kropyvnytskyi. There are four main expositions covering the history and nature of the region. The basis of the collection are archaeological finds, paintings, icons. Dvortsova Street, 40. Opening hours: 9:00-17:00 (Saturday: 10:00-15:00).
Art Museum. The exposition of the museum is housed in an Art Nouveau building constructed on the order of the merchant I. Shpolyansky at the end of the 19th century. In five halls you can see exhibits received from the Hermitage, the Tretyakov Gallery, the museums of Russian and Ukrainian art in Kyiv, as well as the works of famous local artists. Velika Perspektivna Street, 60. Opening hours: 8:00-17:00 (Saturday: 9:00-17:00). Day off: Sunday.
Elvorti Factory. One of the oldest and largest in Europe factories of agricultural machinery of its time, specialized in the production of seeders. The factory was founded by British brothers Robert and Thomas Elvorti. In 1994, after the restoration of Elvorti’s house, the museum of the factory was opened. Today, the museum has more than 3,500 exhibits. Brothers Elvorti Street, 1. Opening hours: 8:00-16:00. Days off: Saturday, Sunday.
Main Synagogue (1853) - a large brick building in Moorish style. Today, the building houses the historical museum “Jews of Elisavetgrad”. Victor Chmilenko Street, 90/40. Opening hours: 10:00-15:00. Days off: Monday, Saturday.
Greek Church (1805-1812) - a stone church with a bell tower built on the funds of the Greek community of Elisavetgrad. The church was rebuilt in 1898. Today, it is the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin. Soborna Street.
Church of the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin (1850-1875). This blue church with green domes was built in neo-Russian style of religious architecture on the means of the merchant P. Shchedrin. Some architectural features of the 17th century were also used. Yuriya Olefirenka Street, 14.
Transfiguration Cathedral (1819). The Holy Transfiguration Church was built in the style of classicism as the main Orthodox church of the city after the liquidation of the Trinity Church, which was located on the territory of the abolished fortress of St. Elizabeth. Preobrazhens’ka Street, 22.
Other places of interest
Arboretum. This park is one of the most popular holiday destinations for locals and visitors of Kropyvnytskyi. The park with an area of 45 hectares was created in 1958. In 2008, it was recognized as the best park in Ukraine. At the end of April, about 100 thousand tulips bloom here. In the park there is an entertainment area with rides, cafes, and restaurants. Yevhena Telnova Street.
Kropyvnytskyi Academic Ukrainian Music and Drama Theater (1867). The future founders of the Ukrainian professional theater M. Kropyvnytskyi, I. Karpenko-Kary performed here. Dvortsova Street, 4.
Guardian Angel of Ukraine. The monument “The Guardian Angel of Ukraine” was erected in Kropyvnytskyi to commemorate the 2000th anniversary of the Nativity of Christ and on the 250th anniversary of the city. Velika Perspektivna Street, 2.
Best hotels in Kropyvnytskyi
Hotel “Reikartz Kropyvnytskyi”. This business-hotel of the Belgium hotel group Reikartz Hotels Resorts is located about 15 minutes walk from the city center, it is not easy to find it as it is situated in the backyard. Air conditioning, free Wi-Fi and parking, fitness center, bar, restaurant, shuttle service, pets are allowed on request. V. Chornovila Street, 1D. Phone: +380 522 30 50 90.
Odessa is the largest city along the entire Black Sea, the 5th largest city in Ukraine and arguably the most important city of trade. Many years ago, Odessa was once the 3rd leading city in old Russia, after Moscow and St. Petersburg. Odessa looks more like a city located on the Mediterranean, having been heavily influenced by French and Italian styles. Odessa has always had a spirit of freedom, probably gifted to her by her location and by her ability to accept many different people. The city has a wide variety of people including Ukrainian, Russian, Moldavian, Greek, Romanian, Bulgarian, Caucasian, Jewish, Turkish and Vietnamese.
Odessa is one of the major ports and an important centre of industry, science and culture. Her mild climate, warm waters and sunlit beaches attract thousands of tourists year around. Its shady streets, gorgeous buildings and pleasant squares give the city a certain manner of closeness and understanding. Odessa is simply charming with its stunning architecture. The city proved itself fertile ground for various architectural styles. Some buildings display a marvelous mixture of different styles, and some are built in the Art Nouveau Style which was in vogue at the turn of the century. Renaissance and Classicist styles are also widely present.
Today Odessa has a total population of about 1.1 million people. The city's trades include that of shipbuilding, chemicals, oil refining, food processing and metalworking. Odessa also has a naval base and several fishing fleets, which adds to the cities economy.
Odessa is beautifully situated on green rolling hills, overlooking a small picturesque harbor. The best time to visit Odessa is during summer, when everything is in bloom and absolutely beautiful. The summer is especially favorable for those who are looking to tan on one of her tranquil white beaches.
Russian is the primary language spoken in Odessa, however, Ukrainian is the official language and many advertisements and signs are written in it. English is the most widely used tourist language.
City Founded in 1345
The city is located in Central Ukraine, with direct train and bus connections to Kyiv, L’viv, Odessa, Moscow, Bratislava and other major Eastern European cities.
Vinnytsa is a bi-lingual city, with most residents speaking both Ukrainian and Russian. Due to the Vinnytsa Pedagological University, as well as a good local school system, many young people also speak English, German and/or French.
Famous residents of the area include:
- Nikolay Pirogov, founding father of anesthesia and modern battlefield medicine;
- Mykhailo Grushevsky, first Ukrainian president;
- Mykhailo Kotsybyns’ky, famous author;
- Pyotr Tchykovski, famous composer.
Vinnytsa has sister city relationships with Birmingham, Alabama (USA), Kielce (Poland), Peterborough (England), Rîbniţa (Moldova).
The Southern Bugh River flows through the center of Vinnytsa.
Vinnytsa is home to many respected universities and institutes, including the internationally-recognized Pirogov Medical University. The large foreign student population helps to make Vinnytsa one of the more diverse cities in Ukraine.
Vinnytsa is home base for the Ukrainian Air Force.
Agriculture is a major industry in the Vinnytsa oblast of Ukraine. This is due to the area’s famous ‘black soil’. In addition to industrial production of sugar beets, wheat, corn and tomatoes, local residents produce an enormous variety of fruits and vegetables that are available in the city markets.
The second largest city in the Ukraine, Karkiv (also known as Kharkov) is situated in the northeast of the country and serves as one of the main industrial, cultural and educational centers in the country. The country’s industry and research has been focused on arms production and machinery for many years. Today the city is home to such mega-companies as the Morozov Design Bureau, the Malyshev Tank Factory, Hartron and Turboatom. These companies specialize in fields such as tank and turbine production, and aerospace and nuclear electronic research.
Kharkiv was founded during the 17th century and has had a university since 1805. From 1917 to 1934 it served as capital of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic. Perhaps Karkiv’s most notable increase was during the Holodomor famine of the 1930s which saw many people arriving at the cities in search of food. It was a sad time and many lost their lives and were secretly buried by surviving relatives. It went on to suffer further tragedy when, during World War II, it was not only the site of several battles but was captured by Nazi Germany. The Nazis and the Red Army continually struggled for control over the city until August 1943 when it was liberated. During this period of struggle many tens of thousands lost their lives and the city suffered extensive damage.
Today Kharkiv has many attractions to be enjoyed by tourists. Kharkov’s Freedom Square is the largest city square in Europe and is second in the world only to the Tiananmen Square. It is a great place to start your sightseeing. After that you may wish to visit the Gosprom, the Mirror Stream, the Militia Museum, the Memorial Complex, the Shevchenko Monument and the Shevchenko Gardens. The Uspensky Cathedral and the Pokriv Cathedral are quite dramatic and look great in photographs. If you manage to fit that all into your trip, the Cable Road is another interesting place to stop. Make Kharkiv one of your stops while visiting the Ukraine and take the opportunity to learn more about the country’s turbulent history.
Founded in 1256, Lviv, or Lvov, has long been an important center of commerce in Ukraine. The city is responsible for the manufacture of electronic equipment, cars, agricultural machinery, chemicals, processed food and textiles. It has under a million inhabitants and a number of people commute from the surroundings suburbs daily. The winter is fairly cold and the summers are mild. The city sees a lot of cloud coverage.
Lviv is also one of the Ukraine’s leading cultural centers. The first high school in the city was founded by King Jan Kazimierz in 1661 and today the city is the proud home of the Lviv State University. It also boasts a number of theatres and museums. It also happens to be the seat of the Roman Catholic Ukrainian Orthodox and Armenian Orthodox archbishops. Two of its churches date back as early as the 14th century.
When touring Lviv, one might consider visiting the historical city center. The center is on the UNESCO World Heritage List and is fascinating to see. It includes the Ploscha Rynok Market Square with its Black House, the Armenian Cathedral, the Greek Cathedral, the Latin Cathedral, the Dominican Abey and the Boim Chapel. Or you can walk to the top of the Vysoky Zamok hill which overlooks the historical center. This is where the Union of Lublin mound is situated. For entertainment, the Philharmonic orchestra and the Lviv Opera and Ballet Theatre are a real cultural treat. On a more macabre note, the Lychakivskiy Cemetery is one of the biggest and more scenic in the region.
Lviv is an inviting and interesting place to visit. The cultural scene is constantly changing while history abounds and relics of the past remind us of what once transpired many hundreds of years ago.
IVANO-FRANKIVSK, is the capital city of the Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast which lies to the west in Ukraine. It is a relatively small city with a population of roughly 205,000 people. The size of the city only adds to its charm.
Ivano-Frankivsk started life as a fortress which was built to protect the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth from repeated Tatar invasions. The fortress was a great success and it wasn’t long before the city-fortress began to grow under the safety provided by this fortification. It was first mentioned in history in 1662 when it was granted the Magdeburg rights. The city went on to survive not only Tatar attacks but also those thrust upon it by invading Turkish and Russian forces. The Renaissance was a period of extensive growth and rebuilding, which lead to it becoming a somewhat more picturesque city. In fact it gained the nick-name 'little Leopolis' – Leopolis being the Latin name for Lviv. It was also at about this time that Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine, became an important center of Armenian culture.
After Poland was divided up in the 'Partitions of Poland', Ivano-Frankivsk came under Austrian rule before falling under the domain of the autonomous Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria. 1919 was a turbulent time for Ivano-Frankivsk as it was the subject of many Polish-Ukrainian skirmishes. It eventually ended up as the Second Polish Republic, serving as the Stanislawow Voivodship capital. Eventually, in 1939 it was invaded by German and Soviet forces and was attached to the Ukrainian SSR. Much of the Jewish population was murdered during the Nazi occupation, which was a very sad period in the city’s history.
Eventually, in 1962, the name was changed to Ivano-Frankivsk after the Ukrainian writer Ivan Franko. The 1990s saw it become one of the centers of the Ukrainian independence movement. Today the city stands up proudly in its own right. It is a pretty city with both a victorious and sad history which is interesting to explore should you have the time. Why not visit Ivano-Frankivsk next time you are in Ukraine and find out what it has to offer for yourself?
It is believed that Chernihiv, the capital of the Chernihiv Oblast, first existed in the ninth century according to archaeological evidence excavated in the area, which included unearthed settlements and artifacts from the immensely powerful state, Khazar Khaganate. However, the first formal mention of Chernihiv came in the 907 Rus’-Byzantine Treaty. By the end of the 10th century, Chernihiv was believed to be under its own rulership from the findings made in the 19th century of one of the earliest royal mounds to be excavated in Eastern Europe, referred to as the ‘black grave’.
Chernihiv was greatly respected as the second in power and general wealth accumulated in the whole of the southern area of Kievan Rus. During the 11th century it became the seat of the great ‘Grand Principality of Chernigov’, considered the largest in Kievan Rus due to its influence and support by those in the Severian towns all the way to Murom, Tmutarakan and Ryazan, some of the remotest regions. Population numbers in the city soared, reaching 25 000 by 1239, but in that same year it was crushed under the power of Batu Khan. In turn a variety of powers dominated the region. Sadly Chernihiv was razed on two occasions in 1482 and 1497.
By 1623 Chernihiv was granted Magdeburg rights, allowing it to govern itself, and by 1635 it became the seat of the Czernihow Voivodship. Once again Chernihiv grew in power during the seventeenth century whilst the Khmelnytsky uprising was taking place. During 1667 the members of the ‘Treaty of Andrusovo’ became the main controllers of the area before surrendering it to Muscovite Russia. Chernigov still remained the self-governing centre of ‘Cossack Hetmanate' until it was abolished, reducing it to a common administrative center belonging to the Russian Empire. However, it did become the capital of the local administrative units.
It must be noted that through most of the trying periods of Chernihiv’s history, it still managed to keep its ecclesiastical importance, being the seat of the archbishopric. To this day, standing on the outskirts of the city are the ancient caves of the Eletsky monasteries, the original residence of the bishop. Its astounding 6 pillar cathedrals were constructed between the periods ranging from the 11th to the 12th century, with traces of some of the most historical murals still seen today.
Rivne, also called Rovno, has a population of over 250,000 people, it is a provincial city and is also the capital of the Rivne Region of Ukraine.
The city was founded in 1283 and was known as a town of the "Halytsia-Volyn" Principality. The town was named this because of its position on the plane surface. It became a Polish town, after the Liublin Union of 1569. It was united with Russia in 1793 as part of the Left-Bank Ukraine. Then the town was under Polish rule from 1920 until 1939. The town was then united with Ukraine as part of the Western Ukraine and as the capital of the Rovno Region.
Rivne is one of Ukraine’s biggest industrial, cultural and educational centers. Its leading industries include machine engineering, large-panel construction and furniture-making. This city is home to three Institutes, theatres, the Philharmonic Society and the Museum of the Regional Studies, which includes the museum-reserve “The Cossack Graves”. “The Cossack Graves” are situated on the island of Zhuravlykha (Crane) in the riverhead of the Styr River. This museum was built in 1966 in honour of the Cossacks who fell in action in the battle of Berestechko during the Liberation War of the Ukrainian people in 1648 to 1653. It includes the Temple-monument and the wooden church which was built in 1650.
The Rivne Region includes 15 districts, 10 towns, 18 settlements and over a 1000 villages. It also has some very interesting and historical architecture which includes the Assumption church with the bell tower located in the city of Rivne.
Look for another articles about Study&Livin