V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University
V.N. Karazin Kharkiv University in founded in 1804 on the initiative of the famous educator V.N. Karazin. It is difficult to imagine modern and Ukraine without this prominent university. It made an important contribution to the development of Ukrainian national science, culture and is one of the major academic hubs of Ukraine. Nowadays the University by right is among the best Ukrainian classical universities and is well-known in many countries.
There is another fact that makes this University so special. In different years three Nobel Prize laureates worked here: the biologist I. Mechnikov (1908), the physicist L. Landau (1962) and the economist S. Kuznets (1971) in addition to numerous prominent scholars and researches, whose names are adorning streets.
More than 21 School currently operate at Kharkiv National University: the School of Biology, the School of Chemistry, the School of Radio Physics, the School of Physics, the School of Physics and Technology, the School of Physics and Energy, the School of Computer Sciences, the School of Foreign Languages, the School of Philology, the School of Philosophy, the School of Mechanical Engineering, the School of International Economic Relations and Tourism, the School of Geology and Geography, the School of History, the School of Economics, the School of Sociology, the School of Psychology, the School of Law, the School of Further Education and Retraining, and the School of Fundamental Medicine.
V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University is one of the oldest universities in Eastern Europe. It was founded in November 1804, on the initiative of the prominent educator V.N. Karazin and in accordance with the charter of Tsar Alexander I.
The opening ceremony was held on January 29, 1805. The University made an important contribution to the Ukrainian nationalrenaissance of the XIX-XXth centuries. It gave a powerful impetus to the emergence of Kharkiv as a major scientific and cultural center and an academic hub of Ukraine. Today the University justly rates among the best Ukrainian classical universities and is known in many countries.
The history of Kharkiv National University is part and parcel of the intellectual, cultural and spiritual history of Ukraine. The names of many world famous researchers, scholars and educators are associated with Kharkiv University, among them are P. Hulak-Artemovskyi, O. Lyapunov, M. Kostomarov, M. Barabashov, M. Beketov, D. Bahaliy, A. Krasnov, M. Ostrohradskyi, V. Steklov, O. Potebnya, O. Pohorelov and many others.
Kharkiv University is the only university in Ukraine that has trained and employed three Nobel Prize laureates: the biologist I. Mechnikov, the economist S. Kuznets, and the physicist L. Landau.
At different times titles of Kharkiv University Honorary Members and Doctors were conferred on outstanding scholars and public figures of many countries, including J.W. Goethe and A. Humboldt, I. Franko and L. Tolstoy, P. Semenov-Tyanshanskiy, and others.
The title of Honorary Doctor of Kharkiv University was conferred on the first President of Ukraine Mykhailo Hrushevskyi.
Kharkiv University is associated with the first Ukrainian newspapers and journals and the first scientific societies.
Since its foundation, the University has graduated over 130,000 students. The names of the University graduates are commemorated in geographical names, names of space objects, plants and minerals, laws and formulae. Almost 60 University graduates have become academicians and corresponding members of the Ukrainian National Academy of Sciences (UNAS).
The activities of the University have developed Kharkiv into a major industrial, scientific and cultural center. Many Kharkiv streets are named after professors, researches and alumni of the University.
The University has initiated the whole system of higher education of the Kharkiv Region. Its offspring are the National Academy of Law, the National Pharmaceutical Academy, Kharkiv Medical University, Kharkiv Pedagogical University, the Kharkiv Veterinary Academy, the Kharkiv Academy of Culture, Kharkiv Economic University and other institutions of higher education.
Today Kharkiv National University has 21 Schools: the School of Biology, the School of Physics and Technology, the School of Radio Physics, the School of Physics, the School of Computer Sciences, the School of Philosophy, the School of Mechanical Engineering, the School of Geology and Geography, the School of Economics, the School of Foreign Languages, the School of History, the School of Philology, the School of Fundamental Medicine, the School of Chemistry, the School of Sociology, the School of Psychology, the School of Law, the School of International Economic Relations and Tourism, the School of Further Education and Retraining, and the School of Physics and Energy. The latter was organized together with the UNAS Institute of Mechanical Engineering.
The total University enrollment, including the students of the Center for Training International Students and the Center for Presessional Education, amounts to about 12,000 undergraduate and graduate students and about 400 postgraduate students. The University employs up to 1,500 faculty and research staff, including more than 200 doctors of sciences, full professors, and almost 800 PhDs, associate professors.
Kharkiv National University offers 115 majors and minors, covering the whole scope of modern classical university education.
About 30% of the University's annual enrollment are school medal winners, another 10% are winners of the third and fourth rounds of Ukrainian school students academic competitions.
The University is one of the largest research centers in Ukraine. It covers virtually all spheres of modern fundamental research and incorporates the Research Institutes of Chemistry, Biology, and Astronomy, the Institute of Physics and Engineering, and the Institute of High Technologies.
The University's faculty include 21 academicians and corresponding members of the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences and specialized academies of Ukraine, and 50 winners of the State Award. The University has about 20 world famous scientific schools committed to intensive research, 5 Expert Examining Boards and 11 Senior Doctorate Expert Examining Board. The University's researchers annually publish 60 to 65 monographs, collections of research papers, over 2,000 articles and abstracts, and hold 20 to 25 international conferences.
The University is the leading research organization of international several space programs. Within the framework of international programs its researchers co-operate with scientists from the USA, Canada, Russia, Germany, Turkey, China, Japan, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Great Britain and other countries.
Since 1808 the University has had its own Astronomical Observatory which is one of the leading astronomical centers of Ukraine involved in fundamental and applied research in the Physics of the Sun, the planets, asteroids, comets and satellites.
The University's Botanical Garden was founded in 1804 and is the oldest botanical garden in Ukraine. It is a state preserve with a unique collection of plants representing various botanical and geographic zones of the world.
The University's Natural History Museum was founded in 1807 and is one of the oldest university museums in the world. Every year it opens its doors to 22,000 visitors. The total area of the Museum exhibition facilities is 2,000 square meters, and its 23 halls feature about 250,000 exhibits organized into the following sections: the Origin of Man, Darwinism, Zoology, and Geology. The University also has the Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography of Slobidska Ukraine with about 150,000 exhibits.
The University's Central Scientific Library was founded on January 30, 1805. In 1987, the decree of the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine established it as an institution of special social importance. It numbers 3,500,000 units, including 50,000 unique editions (17 incunabula, over 1,000 manuscripts, 300 palaeotypes, and books by classical writers and scholars published in their lifetime).
In October 1999, according to the decree of the President of Ukraine, Kharkiv State University gained the status of a national university and was named in honor of its founder, V.N. Karazin.
In 2003, following the decree of the President of Ukraine, V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University obtained the highest status of a self-governing (autonomous) state university.
V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University is involved in extensive international cooperation and is an active member of the international community of the leading European and world universities. It cooperates with 61 partners in 25 countries of the world.
Together with other major European universities, in 1988 Kharkiv National University signed the Great University Charter that initiated the Bologna Process.
The University is a co-founder of the Eurasian University Association and is a member the World and the European University Associations.
In November 2004 Kharkiv University celebrated 200 years since the day of signing the Foundation Charter, and in January 2005 it marked the 200th anniversary of its foundation.
V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University with its over 200-year history is a leading Research and Educational Institution in Ukraine.
In the “Top-200 Ukraine” rating conducted by the UNESCO Chair for 2009 Kharkiv University ranks third among all Ukrainian Higher Educational Institutions. According to Scopus, the world’s largest abstract and citation database, the University holds the third position among Ukrainian Research and Educational Institutions by the number of articles published in the leading international scientific publications.
Today the University has 20 Schools and 125 Departments which provide training for specialists in 61 majors. The University also comprises 3 Research Institutes (of Astronomy, Biology and Chemistry), Central Scientific Library with over 3.5 million books in its stocks, Botanical Garden, University History Museum, Museum of Natural History, Museum of Archeology and Ethnography. All University Schools, Center for International Students Training and Pre-Enrolment Training Center provide teaching for 15 000 students and 500 postgraduate students. The University employs for teaching and research 308 Doctors of Sciences and Doctors of Letters, full professors and about 800 PhDs, associate professors including 15 academicians and corresponding members of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and Sectoral Academies.
The University is distinguished by its 24 internationally-recognized scientific schools and it has the biggest potential and base for training high skilled personnel in the Left-Bank Ukraine. The University has over 20 Expert and Senior Expert Examining Boards where 10-15 Doctorate and about 60 PhD theses are defended annually. Every year University scientists publish over 60 textbooks and 300 manuals, about 60 monographs and over 80 issues of the University Bulletin and other journals, about 2500 scientific articles and abstracts, including over 400 articles in leading international scientific journals. Annually the University holds more than 150 international and national conferences on research and teaching methods.
The University also promotes versatile, close and fruitful cooperation with Research Institutes of the National Academy of Sciences and Sectoral Academies of Ukraine, continues to establish and strengthen contacts with sectoral research institutes and enterprises. Within Research Institutes of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine there were created 17 branches of the University departments. In cooperation with the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine the University opened The School of Physics and Energy.
The University boasts its wide international recognition as one of the initiators of signing the Magna Charta Universitatum (Bologna, 1998), a co-founder of the Eurasian Universities Association, an active participant of International Association of Universities and European University Association, a training center for about 1500 international students, postgraduate and doctorate students for 50 countries of the world, and a partner in research and educational cooperation with more than 100 universities and other organizations all over the world.